Mobile Operating Systems Different categories of Operating Systems Categories of operating systems The different categories of operating systems are the following:
- Autonomous operating systems
- Server operating systems
- Mobile operating systems
1-Independent operating systems:
An operating system that runs on a desktop or laptop computer is called an independent operating system. Some independent operating systems can work with a server operating system and are referred to as the client operating system. A client operating system can work with or without a network. Some independent operating systems include network capabilities to configure a small network for home or small business.
Some examples of independent operating systems are the following:
- Disk operating system (DOS)
- Mac OS
DOS for the disk operating system. It was developed by Microsoft in the early 1980s for personal computers. It is a single user operating system. A type of operating system in which only one user can work at a time is called the single user operating system.
Some important DOS commands are the following:
- DIR: used to show all files and subdirectories of the current directory.
- MID: used to erase the screen.
- CD- is used to change the directory.
- COPY- is used to copy files from one place to another.
- DATE: used to show the current date.
- TIME: used to show the current time.
Windows developed by Microsoft. Uses Windows is the most used graphical user interface of the operating system (GUI, some important Windows system is Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP) The launch of Windows 29 new features Windows 10 is the latest operating system launched in July and is the fastest and most efficient operating system and provides better-improved graphics capability.
Some important features of Windows 10 are the following:
- Windows 10 is designed to work on desktops, laptops, and tablets
- A more traditional start menu has been introduced
- The home screen is easier to use with more mosaic size
- Easier access to the All applications screen and find applications faster
- Support for input through touch, mouse, and keyboard
- It supports multitasking and allows the user to work with multiple windows at the same time. Provides File Explorer to manage files and folders.
- It provides a virtual assistant called Cortana that helps the user create reminders to find the files, etc. The user can talk to this virtual assistant using the microphone.
- It provides a new default web browser called Microsoft Edge that is more secure and faster than Internet Explorer.
- It includes many built-in features to keep the computer safe from viruses and malware.
- Protects data against accidental loss by creating a backup on an external hard drive
- It is a new Windows store that can be used to download desktop programs and has Windows applications.