APPLICATION SOFTWARE TYPES OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING” Software, as we mentioned, is another name for programs. Programs are the instructions that tell the computer how to process data into the form you want. In most cases, the words software and programs are interchangeable.
There are two major kinds of software—system software and application software. You can think of application software like the kind you use. Think of system software like the kind the computer uses.
SYSTEM SOFTWARE The user interacts primarily with application software. System software enables the
application software to interact with the computer hardware.
The system software i “background” software that helps the computer manage its own internal resources. The system software is not a single program. Rather it is a collection of programs.
Are programs that coordinate computer resources, provide an interface between users and the computer, and run applications. Windows XP and the Mac OS X are two of the best-known operating systems for today’s microcomputer users.
Utilities Also known as service programs, perform specific tasks related to managing computer resources. For example, the Windows utility called Disk Defragmenter locates and eliminates unnecessary file fragments and rearranges files and unused disk space to optimize computer operations.
Device drivers are specialized programs designed to allow particular input or output devices to communicate with the rest of the computer system.
Application software might be described as end-user software. These programs can be categorized as either general-purpose or special-purpose applications.
General-purpose applications, or basic applications, are widely used in nearly all career areas. They are the kinds of programs you have to know to be considered computer competent. One of these basic applications is a browser to navigate, explore, and find information on the Internet.
Microsoft’s Internet Explorer:-
The two most widely used browsers are Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and Netscape’s Navigator. For a summary of the basic applications, Special-purpose applications, also known as advanced applications, include thousands of other programs that are more narrowly focused on specific disciplines and occupations.
Some of the best known are graphics, audio and video, multimedia, Web authoring, and artificial intelligence programs. For a description of these programs.
Have you used the Internet? If so, then you probably already know how to use a browser. For those of you who do
not, here are a few tips to get you started.
- 1 Start the browser. Typically, all you need to do is double-click the browser’s icon on the
- 2 Enter URL. In the browser’s location box, type the URL (uniform resource locator, or address) of the Internet or Web location (site) that you want to visit.
- 3 Press ENTER. On your keyboard, press the ENTER key to connect to the site.
- 4 Read and explore. Once connected to the site, read the information displayed on your monitor. Using the mouse, move the pointer on the monitor. When the pointer changes from an arrow to a hand, click the mouse button to explore other locations.
- 5 Close browser. Once you are done the exploring, click on your browser’s CLOSE button.